Lending Manager – Permanent Full Time
Ballinasloe Credit Union is a large and successful credit union with €128 million in assets. It is seeking to recruit a Lending Manager who will report to the CEO and will be responsible for the progressive implementation of the credit policy to maximise responsible lending.
The Lending Manager will support the CEO in the development and implementation of a growth strategy and the delivery of income targets, in line with the strategic plan, monitoring KPI’s and ensuring alignment to the strategic and operational business goals. The Lending Manager will have overall responsibility for the management and efficient operation of the lending function across the credit union, including in-branch, online and phone channels.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual with excellent lending experience to lead and manage a lending team and function to deliver on the ambitious plans of the credit union.
The Lending Manager will manage and lead the lending team, and is responsible for all aspects of the member’s loan experience and the delivery of excellent and standardised member experience.
The Lending Manager is responsible for delivering underwriting excellence across the team and compliance with the credit union’s credit policies and procedures.
The optimisation of processes, productivity, efficiencies and performance in the team, the implementation of an end-to-end digital loans enquiry to issue process, and delivering lending growth targets will be key immediate goals for the Lending Manager.
The Lending Manager is also responsible for the development of new lending products and expanding the capabilities of the credit union into new credit sectors such as longer-term lending and secured / mortgage lending over time.
This position reports to the CEO.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Manage the lending function ensuring the balance of both quality and quantity of loans through effective assessment of applications and documentation and a ‘best in class’ underwriting process.
- Provide timely and adequate management and KPI reporting
- Manage budget within the overall credit union budget cycle
- Ensuring that all credit policies and procedures are of the highest standard and are user friendly for all loan types and scenarios.
- In conjunction with the Compliance Officer, ensure that the compliance and regulatory requirements are being adhered to fully.
- Contribute to the design and development of new and innovative lending products & services in line with the strategic plan and across varied lending categories be it, personal, SME or agricultural lending etc.
- Support the Business Development and Marketing Officer to create an effective marketing and sales plan that aligns products (loans, insurances etc.) with the demographics and needs of those within the common bond.
- Liaise with key stakeholders around the business to ensure the successful implementation of targets, goals and objectives from the strategic plan.
- Contribute in analysing the performance of all products to ensure they are meeting their targeted revenue and margin goals and adjust or terminate underperforming products in a timely manner.
- Provide analytical support and aid decision-making, conducting ad hoc analysis of business challenges, opportunities and implications of changes.
- Develop a lending information system that extracts appropriate loan book information and trends ongoing and concisely communicate this information to management, relevant committees and the board to better inform their strategic insights and decision making.
- Develop and implement process efficiencies and ongoing evaluation of all credit processes and systems.
- Ensure the appropriate credit policies, systems, procedures and practices are operating efficiently and effectively
- Ensure compliance of the overall lending function within the parameters of the Credit Policy, risk appetite and regulations
- Review the loan portfolio regularly to identify emerging risks, trends or opportunities for growth
- Perform reviews of the lending decisions to inform amendments to the Credit Policy and to support team development, training and performance development
- Engage with marketing to develop and implement marketing, promotional and sales campaigns to drive lending growth and to achieve the lending growth targets
- Engage with frontline, online and phone services to develop sales, upselling or cross-selling strategies to drive lending growth and to achieve the lending growth targets
- Leadership and management of Loans Officers and the development of the lending team as individuals and as a high-performing team
- Responsible for the performance management of the lending team
- Responsible for all lending and underwriting training needs across the operation, coach and mentor to ensure the team reach their full potential.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the senior management team and CEO to develop and enhance the credit union, its organisation capabilities and its reputation with all stakeholders
- The above list is not exhaustive and may be subject to change in line with the needs of the business.
Skills & Abilities Required:
The successful candidate should have the following:
- A third level business degree or equivalent
- A relevant qualification in financial services e.g. QFA, lending, SME lending, agri-lending, mortgages, etc.
- Central Bank minimum competency requirements (MCR)
- A qualification in business or management is preferable
- A minimum of 5 years’ in lending
- Significant underwriting experience and skills in both personal, and business, agri or mortgage lending
- A minimum of 5+ years’ lending management experience
- A strong understanding of operations in a retail and back-office (online and phones) financial services business
- Significant experience in people management, and performance management, and leadership and experience in managing teams and individuals for high-performance and collaborative working
- Successful track record of implementing HR processes
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to contribute effectively as a member of the senior management team
Other skills and abilities which are required include:
- The ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to influence and lead.
- Strong business and commercial acumen and understanding of the evolving credit union business model.
- Organised, focused and driven individual.
- Highly computer literate with the ability to query, analyse, interpret and report on efficiencies, effectiveness and trends.
- The ability to articulate and communicate a vision for lending
- The ability to take ownership of and drive lending and business initiatives.
Fitness & Probity
This is controlled function and the successful applicant will be required to complete fitness and probity checks with the credit union.
This is a permanent full-time position.
Salary & Benefits
The credit union will offer a generous salary, pension and benefits commensurate with the role, location and sector.
The role is 37.5 hours per week, 7.5 hours per day, Mon-Sat, 5 over 6 days.
The Lending Manager will be expected to deliver work outside normal working hours on occasion to support key projects, reporting deadlines and credit union cycles.
The role is based in the Credit Union’s offices in Ballinasloe.
Your Next Step
If you are ready to take a further step in your career, apply now by sending your CV to Helena Broderick, Managing Consultant at our HR Partners, CollierBroderick, email@example.com.
To make a confidential enquiry, please contact Helena at 087 9074843.
The closing date for applications is Friday 31/7/2020.
Interviews will take place w/c 10th August. Final interviews will take place on Thursday 20th August, with a view to the role commencing as soon as possible after that.